Now- lets get some night vision going on our low budget helmet. Above is the factory helmet mount for the Armasight Spark. I have shown the spark night vision monocular in other posts mounted on my AR and also posted some video through the scope showing the AIM reticle sight. Armasight offers a head mount and a helmet mount for the Spark as well. I was unable to really find much on the Spark helmet mount ANYWHERE so, this may be one of the more complete descriptions and photo sets out there. What you see on line is the factory stock sales photos over and over. As it comes, there is the front helmet mount, the arm (on the left) and some nylon side attachment straps as well as the ratcheting and locking top strap. It also had two other helmet mounting parts for what most likely fits the PASGT (not shown and not used). Void from the box was ANY kind of instructions. No worries, I quickly set out to make it all work better anyhow. I cut off the side straps right away, after all the first thing you should do with a new toy is void the warranty right? Thats what I do anyhow- open her up see how she ticks and make it better because a factory can never do it as good as me… lol. I found that the two front ”claws” that hook under the front of the helmet were not shaped well for my CVC and I had to take two large pliers and re bend them to make them fit really well. I cut off the side straps and glued in some velcro (hook side) tape inside the front mount so the the mount would attach to the front pile side of the tape already on the helmet. (shown in the second pic). Mounted, it was now very nice and secure with no side slippage (photo 3). The mount itself is somewhat “universal” I suppose, so it did not fit nice and smooth with the shell at first. Nothing a soft rubber mallet would not fix. I spent several minutes reshaping the front and top of the metal mounting bracket so that it forms nicely to the CVC shell. I did stay with the factory rear clamping parts and they work very nice. If you notice the angle of the holes for the side straps was right in line if I had wanted to go back to the rails, but I have other plans for the rails.
The Arm portion of the mount is good. It mounts to the dovetail on the helmet portion and has good adjustment in it. Getting it adjusted the first time is a two person job. You will need someone to adjust several allen screws on the pivot point and get it set up right. It is nearly impossible to do alone. Past that, you can tweek every thing else by yourself. Once set up, this mount gives what I consider a very good fit and balance. Much better than the “skull crusher” type set ups and very comfortable. It puts the monocular right in front of my eye (there is good adjustment left to right and it can go on the side you want with a squeeze of a lever and a push) with the rubber eye cup just touching my skin. After adjusting the whole thing I took it off and used some lock tight on all the screws.
The Armasight spark itself has held up very well for me. While not gen3 it is far better than any other gen 1 scope I have seen or used and I have owned at least 4 brands of those. Mine had no blemishes or specs in it and is very clear. I have used it hand held and weapon mounted on my AR shooting at night. I have used it in a light rain with no ill effects (it says its water proof and it seems to be). Now, its a hands free helmet mount but quickly detaches and goes back on my AR. In all I would give the mount a B grade. I know the factory cannot forsee all the helmets it might be mounted on and thus had to take a middle ground, and as stated, I can overcome that. Someone with no skill or desire to do that would be less than happy. I think that it is better than most other non mil spec mounts I have come across but its not a gen3 Wilcox of course. Time will tell how it holds up to use. Cost for this mount- $150.00 purchased on eBay with a ”best offer”, which is high, but it does do a good job at adjusting and putting the device right where it should be. After all the tweeks and such, I am happy with it.
Next up- lets get some Coms going on our budget build.